We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Sauerkraut is a favorite food of many peoples, especially popular in the cold season.
To give the dish a special, sweet and sour taste and increase the vitamin content, apples are added to cabbage.
How to properly ferment cabbage with apples and which varieties of apples are most suitable for this, as well as what other additives to the recipe can be used, we will tell in this article.
The classic apple recipe
- cabbage taken in the fall - 1 kg.;
- small carrots - 1 pc .;
- apples are not sweet - 1 pc.;
- salt - 20 g;
- sugar - to taste, no more than 5 g.
- Cabbage is selected with white heads. The color can be seen by making a cut, it is not recommended to use a vegetable with a greenish tint inside.
- Apples should be sweet and sour or sour, Antonovka variety is suitable. There is no fixed amount of carrots and apples, so you can add these products if desired.
- White cabbage must be chopped into thin slices using a knife, a special shredder or, if available, a food processor.
- Carrots can be grated or chopped, just like cabbage. The apples are cut into small, neat slices.
- A large saucepan or other container is taken, chopped food is placed in it, excluding apples. Salt and sugar are added, if you plan to use other spices, they should be put at this stage.
To make the cabbage juicy, you need to squeeze the finished mass with your hands. After the first stage of grinding, you need to let the cabbage lie down for 20-30 minutes, then repeat the push-up.
Putting the cabbage in a suitable container
The strength and time of pressing depends on the juiciness of the cabbage. It is necessary to try to determine these indicators by eye, since too hard pressed cabbage will easily become lethargic and soft, and insufficiently squeezed out may not let the juice out enough.
- Apples are added, all components are mixed for the last time. A heavy object is selected, for example, a glass jar filled with water, which will serve as oppression.
- The pot with cabbage is removed to the warmest place for 3-4 days. You should also periodically pierce the cabbage, reaching the very bottom.
If you do not carry out this event at least once a day, the cabbage will become bitter. If foam is noticeable during the fermentation process, it is removed.
- After the end of cooking, the sauerkraut is distributed in containers convenient for the hostess and put away in a cold place, for example, in the refrigerator.
White heads of cabbage are suitable for fermentation
Apple variety Antonovka
Thinly chop the cabbage
Cabbage under oppression
Cabbage can be put in jars and sent to the refrigerator
On our site you will also find other recipes for making sauerkraut. For example, classic, in brine and with beets.
Sauerkraut with apples and cranberries
To prepare sauerkraut with cranberries you need:
- cabbage with white heads - 1 kg;
- medium-sized carrots - 100 g;
- young apples, preferably with sourness - 100 g;
- cranberries to taste .;
- salt - 30 g.
- For pickling, we choose strong and juicy heads of cabbage, white in section. The topmost sheets can be removed. Frozen cabbage is not suitable for pickling.
- Shred cabbage and carrots with a knife, ordinary or special grater.
- Wash the apples and cut into slices (you can peel them off). Some recipes recommend grating apples, but you can also leave them in slices.
- We combine all prepared products, mix and salt, add spices. Put a layer of cabbage leaves in a prepared pan, then a layer of prepared cabbage with apples and carrots, alternate, finish with a layer of cabbage leaves and put a press.
We put the cabbage under the press
After a day, foam will appear on the surface. It must be collected. You can use a spoon or slotted spoon. You should also remove gases, that is, periodically pierce the cabbage with a long stick.
- After a week, the cabbage should be put in glass jars or other suitable containers and placed in the refrigerator.
The head of cabbage should be strong and white in section
Shred cabbage and carrots or three on a regular grater
Cut the apples into slices
We put the cabbage in jars and store in the refrigerator
Equally popular are recipes such as canned cabbage, crunchy and a quickie recipe.
A quick recipe for sauerkraut with apples and raisins
List of products:
- late varieties of cabbage - 10 kg.;
- apples - 1 kg.;
- small carrots - 600 g;
- raisins, preferably juicy - 100 g.
- For pickling we choose strong and juicy heads of cabbage, white in section. Cabbage is chopped into strips using a knife or a special grater.
- A large saucepan is being prepared, in which it will be convenient to crush the cabbage with your hands. Chopped cabbage is placed in it, salted to taste and slightly wrinkled with your hands to let the juice flow.
The carrots are washed, peeled, then grated on a fine enough grater and added to the cabbage.
- Raisins are gently washed in a colander with small holes or on a sieve, added to cabbage and carrots.
- Then the sliced apples and spices are added, everything is mixed. The finished mixture is covered with cabbage leaves.
The cabbage is left in a warm place for three days. To get rid of gases, it is pierced to the bottom with a thin stick at least once a day. The foam that appears during fermentation can be removed with a spoon.
- The finished dish is distributed among the banks. Sprinkle with herbs or other seasoning before serving.
Shred cabbage before pickling
Cooking cabbage and carrots for pickling
Wash the raisins thoroughly
Cover with cabbage leaves
Putting cabbage in jars
The video shows a simple and delicious recipe for making sauerkraut with apples:
Sauerkraut for the winter is a source of vitamins with excellent taste. The standard recipe has undergone many adjustments, new ingredients are added to the cabbage, often apples.
Thanks to the use of various healthy products and the observance of the cooking technology, sauerkraut will turn out to be especially tasty, bringing benefits and joy at any time of the year.