We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Keeping the crop throughout the winter until a new crop is harvested is one of the the main concerns of the gardener.
This also applies to root crops such as carrots - proper organized storage allows you to enjoy the fruits of your labor even in late spring excellent quality.
If you have not only sent your rich harvest of carrots for storage fresh, but have already sufficiently frozen in the freezer, and also dried for the winter and even made dried carrots, then you have one thing to do - leave the root crops right in the garden in the ground.
But this is not as easy a task as it seems at first glance. One of the most non-trivial ways can be called storage in the ground... In our article, we have already talked about how and in what time frame it is necessary to harvest carrots for storage, now let's talk about how to leave it right in the garden.
Leaving rules in the garden
If you do not have enough space to store root vegetables in the cellar or pantry, then you can use this the old methodlike storing carrots in the ground until spring directly in the garden where they were grown.
This method is good if you have a large root crop or feel shortage of time for their cleaning and subsequent processing for storage.
Among cons storing carrots in the ground for the winter can be called:
- possible damage to vegetables by ubiquitous pests;
- difficult access during snowy and cold winters;
- impossibility of sorting carrots and determining the quality of vegetables.
But if you plan to consume vegetables left in the garden not earlier than spring, then, subject to storage technology, after even a long time, you will receive fresh carrots, as if they had just been grown.
How to keep carrots in the ground for the winter? Initially follows approach carefully to the choice of the section of the garden where you decided to leave the roots. This site must meet certain requirements, which are as follows:
- the garden should not have any soil diseases, there is no infection with a wireworm or bear;
- you need to make sure she won't be in the spring flood;
- the area with the left roots should not be in the spring interfere with spring work in the garden and sowing early crops.
Now you can start storing carrots in the garden during the winter period. These works are postponed until late autumn - especially since carrots are capable of withstand small frosts and without additional cover.
On top of that, it promotes buildup in vegetables sugars, which makes the carrots even more delicious.
How to keep carrots in the ground until spring in the garden? The technology for preserving vegetables is as follows:
- in the last month, before cutting the tops, you should refuse watering beds;
- choose a day preceded by a period without rain for at least a week, so that the soil has not accumulated excess moisture;
- remove everything from the garden weedsotherwise in the spring you will receive, in addition to carrots, well-preserved weed seeds, and the products of their rotting will nullify all your labors;
- cut right at the root the tops that have already begun to turn yellow, the level of the ground should coincide with the cut-off point;
- cover the bed with sand large fraction. A small layer is enough, no more than 2-5 centimeters thick, but completely covering both the root crop area itself and the adjacent territory - about 1 meter from the garden bed. Sand will allow oxygen to flow to the surface of the earth;
- cover with plastic wrap - this can be done in the next step, just before the onset of frost;
- next layer - materials at hand for insulation plot with root crops. They can be leaves fallen from garden trees, peat, sawdust;
- the insulating layer is covered again plastic wrap or roofing material - this allows you to create a so-called thermal cushion, which allows you to protect vegetables from the cold in winter. Roofing material or film is well fixed with any materials at hand.
Subsequent snowfalls will create additional protection from cold, and after they melt, you will get well-preserved roots.
Special attention should be removed protecting carrots from rodents, who will not miss the opportunity to eat vegetables in the hungry winter time.
To protect against them, it is necessary to use spruce branches, and also scatter them over the last layer of insulation.
Additionally installed scarers, and traps, in which the poison is laid - this is to prevent the possibility of pests breaking through to the vegetables laid for storage.
Despite careful preparation, there is always a danger that the roots will be partially damaged by rotting or eaten by pests. However, the portion of the crop that survives is usually celebrated high consumer performance.
However, there is one more feature - after the root crops are dug out of the ground, they do not have a long shelf life, and therefore it is recommended to dig them out immediately before use.
How to keep carrots in the garden until spring? A method of storing carrots in a garden bed until spring in this video:
Features of saving in an earthen pit
How to store carrots in a pit outdoors in winter? The method is no less good when storage organized in a pit dug on the site... In this case, it is important to observe not only the technology of organizing the storage location, but also digging out the harvest and preparing root crops for laying. These rules are simple, but they help to preserve the crop for a long time with good quality indicators:
- before digging out products to be stored from the soil, it is not necessary water;
- dig out with a pitchfork, neatly and carefully;
- no need to shake off the soil from root crops - both by shaking the pitchfork and by hitting vegetables against each other. With such a mechanical effect, root crops receive microtraumas, which impairs their safety and leads to premature decay;
- spread carrots to dry - as is usually done with potatoes;
- after drying, carefully remove surplus soil;
- to produce haulm trimming - it will be better if you cut it to the very top of the root crop. The maximum that can remain from the tops of the root crop is greens no more than 2-3 cm high.
- to produce sorting root crops.
Separating flat vegetables for storage under the ground that do not have damage, traces of rotting and deviations from the norm in the form of excessively skinny or twisted root crops.
After that, it is necessary to make a selection for laying in a hole - for this purpose they select small specimens.
After that, a place for the bookmark is prepared. You should choose a place that not subject to flooding melt water in the spring.
How to store carrots in the ground in winter? After the vegetables for the bookmark are selected, you can start laying them for storage. For this:
- dig up pit... Its depth in latitudes, where the winter is mild enough and there is no deep freezing of the soil, can do not exceed 30-35 cm... In the same place where winters are more severe, that is, in central Russia, it is necessary to equip a pit with a depth not less than 50-60 cm... The width in both cases is approximately 50 cm;
- fall asleep at the bottom of the pit sand large fraction for a thickness of 2-5 cm - it protects from contact with the soil and provides air exchange;
- then a layer of carrots is laid, which covered with sand - and so on until 10-15 cm remains to the edge of the pit;
- covering the last layer with sand, covered with earth so that the top layer protrudes above the edge of the pit by about 8-10 cm.If winters are harsh enough, then the top layer of the earth can be increased up to 50 cm;
- then proceed to insulation, which are leaves fallen from fruit trees, peat, sawdust, as well as spruce branches - for pest protection... Additionally, you can install scarers and poison feedersso that rodents do not have the opportunity to get to the vegetable store.
In the spring, after opening the vault, you will have on your desk excellent quality root vegetables.