We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Without proper soil preparation, it is impossible to grow first-class pepper seedlings.
The trade offers many different soil mixtures, but experienced summer residents strongly recommend preparing the soil for seedlings on their own.
The topic of today's article is the ideal soil for peppers: for seedlings and for planting mature seedlings. Preparing the soil for pepper seedlings with your own hands.
Good land for planting should:
- be loose, light, with a porous structure, provide free access of air and water;
- contain life-giving microflora, organic matter;
- contain in optimal proportions for seedlings potassium, nitrogen, phosphorus, iron, copper, zinc;
- match the composition of the soil in which the pepper will be grown;
- be permeable, keep moisture for a long timewithout forming a superficial crust;
- have a neutral pH value adequate for peppers pH ~ 5-7... This acidity protects the peppers from diseases of the black leg and keel.
Good land should not:
- be infested with weeds, larvae, pest eggs, worms, fungal spores, toxic substances, pathogens, decaying organic matter;
- have an admixture of clay.
An ideal soil composition for pepper seedlings, containing in correctly proportioned phosphorus and potassium oxides, sulfur, boron, molybdenum, zinc, iron, copper, manganese, magnesium, calcium.
On a note! Pepper seedlings develop well in the removed surface layer of soil from under the acacia trees.
How to prepare ground for pepper seedlings:
- In one part: sand, peat, humus, earth.
- Sod, garden soil, compost, sand - in equal shares. Sprinkle with wood ash at the rate of a glass for 10 kg of compound.
- Equally lowland peat, humus. Enrich with potassium sulfate and superphosphate.
- One measure of compost (peat), sand (perlite), two sod.
- To one part, mixed equally of sawdust and sand, add three parts of sod soil.
- Equally leafy and sod land, the same amount of humus, a little sand, vermiculite, perlite to choose from.
- Earth, humus, sand, wood ash.
- Sod land, river sand, peat mix in equal proportions, pour a bucket of water with superphosphate, potassium sulfate (30 g) and urea (10 g).
- Earth, humus, peat in the same volume, half a liter of wood ash, 2 matchboxes of suphosphate.
On a note! If you buy ready-made soil, carefully study the composition. It is often 100% peaty. In such an environment, pepper seedlings do not develop.
More about the components of mixtures
It is used as a baking powder. Peat additives are required for most soil mixtures. There are three types:
- low-lying: not sour, rich in nutrients;
- surface, requiring enrichment with lime or ash. The introduction of phosphate, magnesium fertilizers is encouraged.
For peat enrichment, it is recommended to add 2% phosphate fertilizer. Then the effect will be more significant.
Provides proper drainage, contributing to the formation of the supporting part of the bush. Makes the soil porous, lightweight.
To saturate the soil mixture, improve the structure in the summer-autumn period, the top soil layer is removed along with the grass. Stacked in boxes. Warm up before use.
Increases moisture holding capacity. Possessing bactericidal qualities, prevent decay of the root system of seedlings.
Wood waste additives lighten the soil, increase its permeability.
Contains humus, which is essential for the successful development of seedlings. Increases fertility, ventilation.
When growing seedlings in mixtures containing a substance of volcanic origin, the risk of fungal diseases and rotting of seedlings is reduced. Protects from the formation of lumps, caking, ramming, temperature changes.
Crushed layered mineral saves from drying out.
Experienced gardeners prefer birch.
On a note! To facilitate seedling ground cocktails, add: seed husks, husks from grains, expanded clay, hydrogels, foam granules, rotted foliage that does not contain tannins (oak, willow, chestnut leaves), crushed egg shells. To remove acidification, lime fluff, chalk and dolomite flour are added.
Preparing the land for seedlings of peppers
In late summer and autumn, lay the available components for storage: soil, turf, peat, moss, sawdust, compost. You can keep the workpieces in plastic bags, bags, boxes, buckets, at sub-zero temperatures. It is desirable that they freeze well.
On a note! The land from the garden plot may contain seeds of unwanted plants, harmful insects and their larvae, pathogens. Do not use without disinfection, or replace with a purchased one.
Do not add fresh manure, fresh compost, untreated turf to the seedling mix.
You can improve the soil for seedlings in the following ways:
- To lower pH levels, neutralize unwanted chemicals, treat with preparations like Flora-S.
- Etch with fungicides, insecticides... This procedure is reliable and lasts a long time. We must bear in mind the danger of such drugs for health, follow all precautionary rules.
- Soak for a couple of up to an hourstirring occasionally. Store the steamed soil in sterilized containers in a cool, unlit place. With this treatment, pernicious bacteria, fungus, insect larvae and eggs die, but the necessary trace elements and minerals are preserved.
- To improve microflora treat with a solution of the type "Baikal", "Gumi" according to the instructions.
- Ignite for half an hour in the oven, oven at a temperature of + 40-50 °. The disadvantage of this method is that along with undesirable factors, the necessary nutrients are destroyed.
- Freeze... Warm up 30-40 days before planting, mix with the rest of the ingredients, freeze again.
- Disinfect with potassium permanganate solution... Additionally, walk with an antifungal agent.
On a note! Don't overdo it with fertilizers. With correctly selected components, the soil mixture turns out to be quite fertile. Experienced vegetable growers advise applying liquid fertilizers after two real leaves appear on the seedlings.
Mix the ingredients kept warm 2-3 weeks before sowing. Sift the earth, turf, peat, humus. Select the remains of plants, pebbles, foreign objects.
Place the selected ingredients in a suitable container. Knead the lumps. Mix thoroughly until smooth. Add sand, perlite. They will combine all the components into one whole, mix again.
A week before sowing, fill the seedling containers with the prepared composition. Spill with a light manganese solution. Add ash, fertilizers.
On a note! Modern technologies allow growing pepper seedlings on landless substrates: a mixture of sawdust and sand, coconut tablets, peat bed. It is possible to grow seedlings just on paper. The advantage of this unusual method is the sterility of the material.
Is it possible to add soil to the seedlings of peppers?
Pepper seedlings do not require additional land.
But, if such a need arises, add seedlings without covering the first cotyledon leaves with the soil mixture remaining from planting, or add a mixture of cultivated soil with used tea leaves. Add in several steps.
After lignification of the lower part of the stem, stop adding seedlings, otherwise the formation of the root system will slow down, and decay may begin.
Preparing the soil for pepper seedlings
How to prepare the ground for pepper seedlings? In order not to destroy the carefully grown seedlings, you should prepare the soil at the permanent residence of the pepper:
- Arrange the beds in advance, apply a complex of fertilizers corresponding to the type of soil.
- A few days before transplant water abundantly.
- Make holes, with a depth equal to the capacity of the finished seedlings, pour settled water room temperature.
- Plant the peppers.
The more carefully, in compliance with all agrotechnical rules, the soil was prepared, the stronger, more hardy the seedlings will grow. The growing time depends on the fertility of the soil. By obtaining all the necessary nutrients directly from the ground, the time for obtaining quality material is reduced by 1-2 weeks. The harvest becomes more abundant, ripens earlier.
Read other articles on pepper seedlings:
- Correct cultivation from seeds and should they be soaked before planting?
- How to grow black peppercorns, chili, bitter or sweet at home?
- What are growth stimulants and how to use them?
- The main reasons why the leaves of the shoots curl, the seedlings fall or stretch, and also why the shoots die?
- Planting dates in the regions of Russia and the peculiarities of cultivation in the Urals, Siberia and the Moscow region.
- Learn the rules for planting bell and hot peppers, as well as how to dive sweet?
An overview of several types of purchased land for peppers: