We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
We deal with them every day. We bring them from the store, pluck them from the beds and rarely think about what effect they have on our health. But sometimes the simplest and most familiar products can pleasantly surprise you. Everyone knows Chinese cabbage, for example.
This wonderful plant with a lot of useful properties deserves to get to know it better. Just like her green neighbors on the shelf in the store. In the article, we will consider whether the same is the same - Chinese cabbage and Chinese, as well as Iceberg lettuce. We will give information about which of these vegetables is healthier, compare them with the white cabbage familiar to Russians.
Definition and botanical description of vegetable species
Peking cabbage is an agricultural crop of the Cabbage family, a subspecies of Turnip. A biennial plant, but in agriculture it is grown as an annual. The plant is also known by names such as lettuce, petsai or Chinese salad.
"Peking" has very delicate, juicy oblong leaves. The leaves are wavy or jagged at the edges, with a white protruding midrib. Whole, sessile, with a wrinkled-swollen leaf blade, 15 to 35 cm high. The color can be from yellow to bright green. Sometimes there is a weak pubescence of the veins at the base of the leaf. They are collected in a socket or a head of cabbage of low density.
This type of cabbage will be able to please with the harvest in just two months after planting.
The plant is 95% water. The product contains various proteins, fats and carbohydrates, fiber.
The product is rich in vitamins A, B, C, E, PP and microelements:
- It contains the amino acid lysine, which is very valuable for health, which is necessary for the growth and regeneration of tissues and has antiseptic properties.
- Strengthens the immune system, supports the cardiovascular system and the gastrointestinal tract.
- Helps remove heavy metal salts from the body.
- Recommended for joint diseases and gout.
- It strengthens the nervous system, helps to cope with stress and depression, and overcome chronic fatigue.
- Improves skin condition.
Peking leaves are great for a variety of salads, snacks, and sandwiches, but it is important to choose a fresh vegetable from the store. From the materials prepared by our experts, you will learn about what varieties are and why it is important to choose the right one, whether it can be given to pets and used for pancreatitis, gastritis, breastfeeding, as well as how to properly store and prepare this healthy vegetable.
White cabbage (vegetable) - biennial plant, agricultural crop; a species of the Cabbage genus, Cabbage or Cruciferous families. In agriculture, it is grown as an annual. The leaves of the shortened stem of the plant are collected in a head of cabbage. They can be oval, round, flat, or even conical in shape. The density of different varieties is also different.
The leaves are large, simple, resilient, with a smooth edge. Small petioles or sessile. The color of the upper leaves is most often green, some varieties have a purple tint. The inner sheets are white, sometimes yellowish. The main vein of the leaf is thick, strongly protruding. In Japan, cabbage is grown as an ornamental plant.
Contains a number of vitamins, including rare vitamin U and trace elements such as magnesium, potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, zinc, sulfur, iodine, phosphorus. As well as fructose, pantothenic and folic acids, fiber and coarse dietary fiber.
- Compresses from the leaves of this culture help relieve swelling and have an analgesic effect.
- Also, cabbage has anti-inflammatory properties, it stimulates the metabolic processes of the body, has a positive effect on the functioning of the stomach and heart.
- The product will also be useful for people with kidney disease, cholelithiasis and ischemia.
Iceberg lettuce is a vegetable agricultural crop of the genus Lettuce of the Astrov family. Refers to headed salads. The leaves are wide, light green, juicy and crispy in taste. They can be smooth or bumpy, slightly fluffy on the outside and more compact in the middle. Collected in small, loose heads of cabbage, similar to cabbage.
The salad got its name after it was transported in America in 1926, covered with ice.
The product is rich in folic acid, vitamins C, B, K and A, choline. In addition, lettuce contains phosphorus, potassium, calcium, sodium, copper, and magnesium.
- Fiber and dietary fiber contained in lettuce are indispensable in the fight for a slim figure, as they improve intestinal peristalsis.
- The product helps to regulate metabolism in the body and improve blood composition.
- Folic acid, which is so rich in iceberg lettuce, helps to strengthen the nervous system.
- It also helps to cope with stress and emotional distress.
- Recommended for active mental stress, such as examination sessions.
Chinese cabbage is a cultivated plant of the Cabbage family, subspecies of Turnip. Do not form a head of cabbage. Erect leaves on succulent legs up to 30 cm high are collected in a rosette. There are two varieties that can be distinguished by their color. One of the most common varieties of Chinese cabbage is bok choy. It is widely used in Chinese cuisine.
Translated from Chinese "bok-choi" means "horse ear".
The composition of Chinese cabbage contains vitamins A, K, C, PP and B, trace elements phosphorus, potassium, calcium, sodium and iron. Like other varieties of cabbage, Chinese cabbage is high in naturally occurring amino acids, lysine and fiber.
- This low-calorie product can be safely consumed by people who monitor their weight.
- Eating Chinese cabbage is an excellent prevention of constipation, as well as an excellent way to cleanse the intestines of toxins, cholesterol and other harmful substances.
- The leaves of the plant contain ascorbic acid, which is very useful and necessary for human health.
- With regular use, the product increases the elasticity of blood vessels and makes the skin more elastic.
- It also normalizes blood clotting and accelerates skin cell renewal.
- Contains vitamins that are good for eyesight.
- Helps with anemia.
- Chinese cabbage juice has a bactericidal effect and can be used to treat burns, ulcers and wounds.
- Folic acid in the composition of the product is necessary for brain function and for the full development of the fetus during pregnancy.
A detailed analysis of the differences between Peking cabbage
Iceberg lettuce and Chinese cabbage are so close in composition and taste that housewives often substitute one vegetable for another in various dishes.
Both crops have juicy crispy leaves. Peking and Iceberg differ in the shape of the leaf and head of cabbage.
Peking leaves have an elongated shape, heads of cabbage - cylindrical.
The head of iceberg lettuce is rounded, more like cabbage in shape. But from a close distance, round, thin, voluminous sheets and their freer arrangement indicate that we are dealing with a salad.
Peking cabbage differs from white cabbage in shape and density of heads. The leaves of the cabbage are round, firm and smooth, the heads of cabbage are round and dense. In Peking, delicate thin oval leaves are collected in a loose cylindrical head of cabbage.
Peking cabbage combines the properties of both lettuce and cabbage. But none of these plants manage to retain all the vitamins they contain throughout the winter. Only Chinese cabbage has such an amazing property.
Chinese cabbage, unlike Peking cabbage, does not form heads of cabbage. Chinese cabbage leaves are more tender and juicy. The stalk of Chinese cabbage is coarser, gradually moving into the central part of the leaf vein. Peking is characterized by a white, flat or triangular vein located in the middle of the leaf. Peking cabbage is significantly larger than Chinese cabbage.
All of these vegetables contain a host of health benefits and help us get rid of many ailments. They make us look younger and more beautiful. They inspire to create dozens of different dishes and give them a unique taste. Well, which of these wonderful plants to give preference is a matter of taste for each of us.