We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Gloxinia are loved by many for their docile nature and attractive appearance. Even a beginner in floriculture can grow this plant at home.
Once you buy white gloxinia once, you will certainly want a large number of these snow-white flowers. Today we will get to know this beautiful Gloxinia and learn how to grow it properly.
We will consider the ways of its reproduction, the rules of caring for it and possible diseases. We also recommend watching a useful and interesting video on this topic.
White gloxinia - perennial, houseplant... Belongs to the Gesneriaceae family. It came to us from Brazil, but it is also common in the vastness of America and Mexico. In nature, white gloxinia is a tropical shrub that has chosen rocky rivers and forest thickets.
Attention: White flowers are shaped like an elongated bell with four stamens inside.
The flower gained its fame back in the eighteenth century.
Popular varieties of white beauty with photos
Gloxinia white terry
Has large white flowers with a lemon-colored neck... Her leaves are emerald, the peduncle is short, and the plant itself is quite small.
Gloxinia Blond Giselle
It has large (up to 10 cm), lush, white flowers, which are covered with dark purple "freckles". The middle of the flower is yellowish. The leaves are large, rich green.
Stems are straight, dense, covered with delicate down. The leaves are large, fleshy, pubescent, usually dark in color, but have light streaks. Flowers - single, large, velvety, placed on peduncles. They can be pure white or with mottles of pink and purple.
It is recommended to grow the plant indoors. For planting, a special soil is used, designed for Saintpaulias.... A universal mixture is also suitable. If you decide to independently prepare a substrate for white gloxinia, then note that the flower prefers sod land, with the addition of peat, humus and sand (4: 2: 2: 1). To achieve lush and long-lasting flowering, choose a small pot for planting.
Important: Snow-white gloxinia, like all its relatives, loves moisture very much, but does not tolerate stagnation of liquid in a pot. That is why she needs good drainage.
- We put the drainage on the bottom of the pot (you can use ordinary large stones).
- Pour part of the substrate on top of the drainage.
- We place the tuber or stalk in a pot and sprinkle, lightly tamping, with soil.
- Water the plant with water at room temperature. This must be done carefully so that moisture does not get on the stem and leaves of the plant.
It is best to choose a well-lit place for the flower. The light should be bright, but diffused, so as not to burn the delicate flower. It is recommended to put gloxinia on the east or west windows.
Providing the plant with the right lighting will delight you with abundant and long flowering.
The soil of white gloxinia needs soft, loose, airy... Only in such a substrate will the flower be able to actively develop. Be sure to make sure that the soil is nutritious.
The general condition of the flower depends on proper care.
- Watering needed: during the flowering period - abundant, during the dormant period - moderate. For humidification it is allowed to use only warm settled water. Watering is carried out through the pallet.
- Daylight hours must be at least 10 hours. If there is not enough light, then artificial lighting can be additionally used.
- Humidity increased is required. It is very important to ensure that moisture does not get on the plant. This can lead to rotting of the ground part of the flower or even its death. You can spray the air next to the pot or place a container of water near it.
- Temperature should be moderate. During the period of active growth and development from 17 to 22 degrees, and during the rest period - 10-15 degrees. Make sure there are no drafts!
- Top dressing are very necessary for the plant during the growth period. You need to make them about once every 8-10 days. In winter, feeding is stopped. Any special fertilizer for flowering indoor plants will do.
- With the arrival of autumn, gloxinia sheds its leaves and falls asleep. Dormant period lasts until March.
Watch a video about caring for white gloxinia:
Common diseases and pests
The most dangerous pests of white gloxinia:
- spider mite;
To get rid of pests, you first need to remove all damaged parts of the plant.... Then it needs to be worked out with special preparations (fitoverm, aktara, karate).
The most common diseases:
- powdery mildew;
- late blight;
- gray rot;
If you find any of them, you need to:
- pluck and destroy all diseased leaves and flowers;
- treat the plant with any fungicides (Bordeaux mixture, previcur, copper oxychloride, etc.).
Growing methods: from cuttings, seeds or part of a tuber
White gloxinia, like all its relatives, propagates by cuttings, dividing the tuber and seeds... Let's take a closer look at each method.
This is the most affordable and easiest way. It is enough to cut a healthy, strong leaf with a sharp knife, put it in water and cover it on top so that it turns out to be a greenhouse. After 10-15 days, young roots will appear, and after another two weeks the plant can be rooted.
Watch a video about the reproduction of gloxinia using leaves:
A more risky way. If you make a mistake, then you can not only not get a new plant, but also ruin the old one. The tuber for dividing must be absolutely healthy, elastic, at least 5 cm in diameter.
Step by step scheme:
- We disinfect the blade and divide the tuber so that there is at least one sprout on each new part.
- We process the sections with activated carbon and dry them.
- We plant the tubers in the prepared soil, water and wait for their rooting.
Reproduction of gloxinia seeds
Perhaps this is the most interesting and effective way. By planting seeds in the ground, you can immediately get a large number of new plants.
Seeds of white gloxinia are not expensive (from 40 r), and their germination capacity is quite high. A plant grown from seed will be very strong and hardy.
- Prepare a special soil and add a little perlite to it. This will make the soil loose.
- It is best to sow seeds in a plastic container with a lid. This is due to the fact that seeds require greenhouse conditions for good development.
- To distribute the seeds evenly over the surface of the ground, it is recommended to mix them with a small amount of sand and sprinkle them. You do not need to sprinkle the seeds with earth.
- Watering is done by spraying from a spray bottle.
- We close the lid of the container and open it several times a day to spray and ventilate.
- The air temperature for germination should be about 20-22 degrees.
- The main conditions for better development are a lot of light and warmth.
The best time to sow is January or February... Seedlings appear in about 2-3 weeks.
After two leaves appear on the seedlings, they must be transplanted one at a time into disposable cups. The first buds need to be pinched off in order for the plant to grow stronger.
Watch a video about the propagation of gloxinia by seeds:
- Campanula White Wonder (indoor bell). The plant looks like gloxinia only in flowers. His bells are the same in shape, white, lush and large.
- Streptocarpus "Snows of Kilimonjaro" has a similar structure, flowers and leaves. His flowers are also double, and the leaves are pubescent.
- Ahimenez "Pilou Faith" has very similar bell-shaped flowers with a yellow center. But the look of the bush and the leaves have a completely different look from gloxinia.
- Saintpaulia "Rob's Dandy Lion" Is a violet variety that is very similar to reduced gloxinia. The flowers, leaves and the very appearance of the plant are very similar to the snow-white gloxinia.
- Abutilone white very much like bells. The plant itself is completely unlike gloxinia, but the inflorescences have common features.
White Gloxinia are amazing flowers! Whoever has grown this wonderful plant at least once will never be able to refuse it again. And with our tips and tricks, flower care will not be difficult!