We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Most gardeners want to know if different crops can be grown in the same garden. Some experts say that the garden bed is not a "dormitory" and are opponents of these experiments. A small area of plots can push for such introductions, but not only that.
The neighborhood of some crops in the same garden can be beneficial if combined correctly. Then resistance to pests and diseases appears. Plants reinforce each other.
Not much has been written about whether it is possible to plant dill with tomatoes together. Some gardeners even talk about their incompatibility, the reason for which is not indicated. But it is known that it is impossible to plant plants from the same family nearby, because then resistance to diseases decreases.
And so, the candidate s. x. Sciences Maria Dolzhenko, we read that sowing dill with tomatoes on the same bed allows you to avoid late blight of the latter. That is, it is not only possible, but also effective to combine these cultures.
Is it allowed to grow in the same garden?
Compatibility on the same bed of dill and tomatoes is provided by the following factors:
- the root system of these plants is different in size, so there will be no "competition" for nutrients;
- the height of the crops is not the same, which also does not allow one to shade the other;
- pests of these crops are different, as well as diseases;
- these plants have a different rhythm of development, which allows optimal use of the soil;
- watering requirements are approximately the same;
- different periods of ripening of crops.
The benefits of planting nearby
Dill is a spicy plant, therefore it repels many pests:
- white butterflies.
But it attracts insects - pollinators, therefore it plays an important role in pollination of other crops.
And, finally, dill is not susceptible to late blight disease, which is so dangerous for a tomato. Therefore, it will not become a dangerous neighbor.
All this is good if certain conditions are met: the neighborhood should not be close.
Dill should not be planted close to tomatoes because:
- it can take away useful nutrients when gaining growth;
- in close proximity, tomatoes can hinder the growth and development of dill, it can grow weak.
With the right location in the garden, the neighborhood of these crops can be made not only safe for each other, but also useful.
Compatibility by variety
It is most optimal to plant high varieties in the neighborhood of tomatoes, not bush varieties that take up a lot of space. These include the following:
- "Mischievous" -height up to 110 cm. Very fragrant plant, resistant to pests.
- "Frost" -height up to 1.5 m.
- "Dill" - unpretentious to moisture and light, reaches a height of 1.5 m.
- "Abundant" - aromatic, compact, height 130 cm.
- "Gribovsky" - resistant to diseases, unpretentious, height up to 70cm.
Of the varieties of tomatoes, when planted together, undersized are optimal:
- Abakan pink - height 80cm.
- Aztec - height 40cm.
- Ballerina (60cm).
- Balcony miracle (40 cm).
How to grow together properly: at home, in the greenhouse and in the garden?
- When planting together on one bed, dill is planted outside the root nutrition zone of the main crop. Optimally plant tomatoes in the center, and dill on the sides.
- The distance between dill plants should be at least 20cm.
- The gap between planting a tomato and dill is at least 50cm.
- The distance between the tomato bushes is also at least 50cm.
For planting dill, early ripening varieties are used, the date for planting in open ground is April 20. Tomatoes are planted in the form of seedlings, depending on the soil temperature (at least + 12gr), depending on the zone of residence, on average, in late May - early June.
- In the greenhouse, the joint planting of crops is carried out as follows. Tomatoes are planted in the center, other crops are fenced off with film, if it is not possible to maintain the correct distance.
- At home, you can plant dill and tomatoes together, there are varieties that are suitable for rooms. These are undersized tomatoes - pinocchio, Aztec, balcony miracle. From the varieties of dill - dwarf, gavrish, Richelieu. But, given the fact that close proximity can reduce the yield of tomatoes, it is better to plant them in insulated containers, or to fence off the plants from each other with a film.
Caring for co-planted plants
- Both of these cultures love a well-lit, draft-free environment.
- To increase yields, it is optimal to plant on beds where legumes, cabbage, and onions grew in previous years, which enrich the soil (read about the joint cultivation of onions and dill here).
- The soil should be easily drained.
- Every 2-3 weeks it is recommended to apply nitrogenous fertilizers, after the appearance of ovaries - potassium-phosphorus fertilizers.
- Watering is recommended once every 5 days, after watering the soil is loosened.
- Once a month, the soil between the rows is loosened.
- Mineral dressing is carried out once every 10 days.
The joint cultivation of tomato and dill on the same bed is possible, which saves space in the garden. Subject to certain conditions, these two crops do not have a harmful effect on each other, and with proper care they will provide a good harvest.